This dish is a staple in the Spanish-Caribbean islands which share similar Cuisines. It is served in special occasions such as holidays other special celebrations. Depending on the country it is garnished with different ingredients like Mojo Sauce, Garlic Sauce and sometimes its own Gravy. It is served with a variety of side dishes like Yellow Rice, Black Bean Rice, Pigeon Peas Rice, Boiled Yucca Root, Boiled Plantains, Boiled Green Bananas, etc. (Email me for recipes of the side dishes if you feel adventurous). This is my take on this delicious Caribbean dish.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 2.5 hrs.
- 5lb chicken
- 8 oz. of lemon Juice
- 2.25 oz. of Caribbean Rub.
- Unpack and wash the chicken in water.
- Trim the excess skin as necessary.
- Wash the chicken with half the lemon juice for 5 min.
- Dissolve the Caribbean Rub in the remaining lemon juice to make a marinade.
- Inject the marinade liberally especially in the breast area.
- Optional: Marinade overnight for deeper flavor.
- Cook at 350 F for 2.0 hrs. in an oven roaster covered with aluminum foil.
- After 2.0 hrs. check for tenderness with long knife. (it should feel like cutting through butter).
- Remove cover and foil and broil at 350 F for 0.5 hrs. until golden brown.
- Let it cool down 15 minutes and serve.