Your cartThere are no more items in your cart
This dish is a staple in the Spanish-Caribbean islands (Cuba, Dominican Republic and Puerto Rico), which share similar Cuisines. It is served in special occasions like Christmas, Birthdays and other special celebrations. Depending on the country it is garnished with different ingredients like Raw Onions, Mojo Sauce, Garlic Sauce and sometimes its own Gravy, as pictured. It is served with a variety of side dishes like Yellow Rice, Black Bean Rice, Pigeon Peas Rice, Boiled Yucca Root, Boiled Plantains, Boiled Green Bananas, etc. (Email me for recipes of the side dishes if you feel adventurous). This is my take on this delicious Caribbean dish.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 4 hrs.
- 4.5 pounds of Pork Butt
- 8 oz. of Lemon Juice
- 2.25 oz. of Caribbean Rub
- Unpack and Wash the Pork in water.
- Trim as much of the fat as possible
- Poke lots of deep holes with a slim knife.
- Wash the Pork with half the Lemon Juice including the deep holes for 5 min.
- Dissolve the Caribbean Rub in the remaining Lemon Juice to make a slurry paste.
- Apply this paste well into all the deep holes. Optional: Marinade overnight for deeper flavor.
- Cook at 350 F for 3.5 hrs. in an Oven Roaster covered with aluminum foil with 1 cup of water.
- After 3.5 hrs. check for tenderness with long knife. (it should feel like cutting through butter).
- Remove cover and foil and broil at 350 F for .5 hrs until golden brown.
- Let it cool down 15 minutes and shred or slice and garnish to preference.